Saturday 26 August 2017

Chalk and Cheese

The memories of our 2013/14 trips are coming back and “OMG Emirates” what a beautiful way to fly.

The airlines can fit out their planes as they like and again on the trip the winners is Emirates beautiful A380. From the moment you board and walk up the internal grand staircase to upper deck complete with a water feature and beautiful flower arrangement at the top.
Now I have time to sit back and survey my surrounding from my own cocoon getting ready for our next leg to Rome.

Nice my own little mini bar stocked with Perrier, Evian, pineapple juice and some little cans of soft drinks and a drinks fab menu for all the other options.
 

The TV is a flat screen built into the burr walnut cabinetry in front and off the my left is an iPad, power points and the timber tray table that swing out as one piece is big enough for my computer and drinks hmmmm ... work and play!
 

My Sands looking a tad shattered its been a long day! 
The hostie greets me with a large soft hot towel to freshen up with, then a glass of Venve Clicquot now in pure heaven …  Champs gone and a bit too quick !! now it’s time for a Bloody Mary served with hot nuts so now I’m ready to fly.

Our lovely hostie Elvira … my new best friend after serving me a few drinks is so cute with her Italian accent, and when she finds out that we are heading to her island of Sicily she says ( I explain you ) brings us a list of all to do and place to see as well as what is typical foods to make sure we experience as much as possible that Sicily has to offer.


Sicily doesn’t have a traditional drink but tells us the Moscato comes from a small island just below Sicily, not a big Moscato drinker but as they say when in Rome.
She than says that we should try the street food as it is very Sicilian, so Pana Con Milza ( bread with spleen ) she can tell by the looks on our faces that offal is not a preference for us but she convinces us that it tastes amazing so we will have to give it a try.  


Anyone that knows me knows I love a linen serviette and todays one comes with a button hole … how refined!! 
Lunch is served and I choose the Traditional Arabic mezze


Hummus, artichoke with mushrooms, stuffed vine leaves and Shanklish salad
One of our male hostie is from Lebanon and told us that Shanklish is an aged cheese (sort of like crumbly dried ricotta to me) the Shanklish salad is to the top right of the green olive 


With our lunch we had a Planeta Santa Cecilia Noro d’Avola 2013 from Sicily so we will be hunting that down also.

It’s from the southern extremity of the island, in the commune of Noto, the white soils and ancient vines there represents the epicentre of Nero d’Avola cultivation, well that what is says on the bottle so I will keep you posted about those white soils!

Dates stuffed with almonds so Emirates
 
    

After lunch a Hennessy XO cognac and some chocolates

Bliss so let’s settle back in for a movie that Sandy has wanted to see for a long time “Lionouch was that a tear jerker.

1 comment: