Saturday 21 July 2018

Clootie Dumplings or Mums Christmas Pudding

on another of our country drives into the Scottish highlands past many a cute little stream
 and in the season would be full of salmon ready for the rod!
 over the Grampian's
 climbing to the top to see the 360 deg views
 hoping to see if we can get another glimpse of the heather 
 The walks are roughish going you need to watch your step.
Its tough up on top, the winds are full on and its not the windy season yet. 
So after all that mountainous heather walking it's down the other side of the mountain into a wee tea house for a afternoon treat.
 
Tried the Clootie Dumpling and I was surprised, this to me is not what I would imagine a dumpling to look like, thought I was trying a new Scottish sensation. 
It was served with ice-cream and or custard to help the dryness.
A clootie  from the old English clūt: "a piece of cloth or rag" 
Looks a lot like my mum's Christmas pudding.
 
Clootie made with flour, bread crumbs, dried fruits (sultanas & currents) suet, spice and milk.
So its more of a dry boiled bread cake than a moist pudding. Frankly wait till Christmas and enjoy my mums moist luscious pudding filled with dried cherries and ginger and other yummy bits and the skin to me is always the best part.
Love you Mum XX
 


No comments:

Post a Comment