Sunday 5 October 2014

Breaking Sad News

Italy's percentage of poor people now equals the same percentage as just after world war 2.
Sad and staggering fact, that was what was translated to us tonight from the news which was playing on the TV on the back wall over the restaurant here at Erbanito.

We have been a witness to this many times over in our travels seeing people selling what ever they can at the traffic lights. From washing windows to selling flowers, trinkets and tissues what ever they can to make a quick few cents while the lights are red.
Along with the array of dis-formed and dis-figured bodies hobbling on sticks and crutches is so confronting.
It's so had to work out who to help and who is pulling your chain. Have had a couple of experiences were seemingly disabled people all hunched over but once they think you are out of eye shot stand up and move to a new location then hutch back over again so start re begging.

We pulled up at the pay station at the end of a autostrada and I could see a girl of about 15 Eastern European looking wedged between the machine and the paying cars. When it was my turn to go through she was helping you put the ticket into the slot and pointing and showing you what to do, hoping for any loose change. At least she was doing something for the loose change, they will try and do anything. It breaks my heart and it makes me ever so grateful of the country we live in and all our blessing.

I like to keep some bread left over from lunch in my backpack and an old lady was hunch over in a door way with a cup begging so I walk over and gave here the bread wrapped up in a napkin. As I walk away she thank me very much and when I turned around seeing that she was actually eating it I then went back and put some notes in her hand, she look up and held my hand and blessed me and I blessed her back, with a smile from us both, so few word are needed.

2 comments:

  1. Saint Pete is it now! You've got a good heart mate, postcard arrived today only took a month. Love the blog Hi Sandy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No Saint ... Wish one could do more ... Wasn't sure that you got my email with the blog address hence the postcard sorry it had to go to your work didn't have your home address

    ReplyDelete