Saturday 18 October 2014

The Black Truffel Day

Today while Sandy's was hard at work doing a cooking class and making my birthday dinner Dorriano and I headed off for a walk in the forrest.
But like all Italian!s what's the point in going for a walk without taking your truffle dog JUST in case.

So our afternoon walk up and down country roads turned out to be very productive, on the edge of the woods under the old oak trees and is the perfect place for the black truffle.
9 nuggets we found and I was keeping them in my top pocket so the smell was amazing right under my nose for several hours. I found myself hold them and smelling them all the time I didn't want this afternoon to finish.

Sandy had a feeling that we would proberley end up truffling and I was under strict instruction not to be late for my birthday dinner.

So with hand gesters to Doriano showing our throats would be slit from ear to ear by Sandy if we were late. We walked and laughed and went higher into the mountains, because that is were the better truffles would be. Doriano also said that his wife Kala had also given him a similar threat as I think both the girls new us two little boys would go off  and get lost in time in the forests again.

This time was not so extream we left the muddy waters and the slippery slopes alone and stayed on the dry forrest edges but it was still a long hike and my legs were still sore from the other day.
But boy how time flyes when you are having fun...... and it did fly. (Insert sad faces)

The hours just wizzed by so it was back to where we parked the 4 wheel drive next to a little shed hidden away where Doriano has a little stash of vino !!!! What a great way to finish my birthday afternoon before we headed back to the girls for birthday dinner. We lay in the green grass looking at an Italian sky with plastic cups in hand filled several times with red wine, frizzanty water and like a orange fanta.
Sort of like a sangria but without the fruit.

So a tipsy two mates .... made our way back to the house for a quick shower, we were on time due to Sandy telling us dinner was 1/2 an hour late than she originally told us. Somehow I think see may have know that us two together we would have lost time, but what a great place and friend to loose it with.

1 comment:

  1. Your the youngest 51 year old that I know who can handle two huge truffling days and then bounce back for a birthday extravaganza. You are to be admired!

    ReplyDelete